Bathroom Renovation vs Bathroom Remodel
If you are thinking it may be time to give your bathroom an overhaul, there are a range of factors to consider before the work begins.
One of the big decisions to make is are you choosing a bathroom remodel, or a bathroom renovation? You'd be excused if you didn't know the difference, and many people use both words for the same thing, but there is actually a difference between remodelling and renovating your bathroom. Keep reading if you'd like to learn more and call us on 0435 243 235 for further assistance.
What is a bathroom renovation?
A bathroom renovation is the restoration, update or install of new fixtures and fittings in a bathroom, such as baths, showers, sinks, vanities, tiles, surrounding features, toilets and flooring. A bathroom renovation can also be referred to as a bathroom upgrade at times.
What are the advantages of a bathroom reno?
There are a range of different benefits that bathroom renovations can offer:
- Add value to your home: This is a big one - any renovations to your home will generally add value, bathrooms included.
- Allows you to keep the structure of the bathroom you already have: If you like the way your bathroom is currently set-out, a bathroom reno allows you to keep that and just work on the fixtures and fittings.
- Generally costs less: Bathroom renovations usually involve less cost than a bathroom remodel, as they are restoring or updating what is already there.
- Return on investment is usually higher than a bathroom remodel.
- Fix existing issues: If you have any issues in your bathroom that need fixing, a bathroom reno is a prime time to fix them.
- Less disruptive than a full remodel: Bathroom renovations don't involve major structural changes, meaning less disruption to you and your family.
Bathroom renovations can also allow you to make your bathroom more energy efficient, update the style of the space, make it safer and add functionality - the benefits are endless! And the fulfilment that you will feel once the project is finished is priceless.
What are the disadvantages of a bathroom reno?
There are a few downsides to bathroom renovations though:
- Can still be disruptive to everyday life.
- Costs can blow out if issues are found later in the project.
- You likely can't use that bathroom, or even that area, while the works are being completed.
- The time that is needed to complete the process can vary.
What is a bathroom remodel?
A bathroom remodel involves more than just replacing fixtures and fittings - this usually involves an alteration to the bathroom design layout, relocation of various existing fixtures and/or adding major new features.
In essence, if you remodel your bathroom, you alter the appearance of it. If you renovate your bathroom, you are repairing or updating it.
What are the advantages of a bathroom remodel?
The pros of a bathroom remodel are far-reaching, so we have listed a few of the major ones below:
- Increase the value of your home: Like renovating, bathroom remodelling can increase the value of your home.
- You can fully reinvent your space: Choosing to remodel your bathroom allows you to change the whole look, feel and layout of the space - this can be great if you are wanting your bathroom to fit within the style of the rest of your home, if it doesn't already.
- Allows you to include new options: If you are remodelling an old-style bathroom, this can allow you to add components that did not exist when the room was first created.
- Fixes issues: A full bathroom remodel allows for any existing issues to be fully addressed and rectified.
A big plus with remodelling your bathroom is the ability to completely change the room, adding features such as energy efficient lighting, smart home options and other additions that help both the functionality of the space and its appearance.
What are the disadvantages of a bathroom remodel?
Just like anything, bathroom remodelling has some disadvantages:
- Remodelling your bathroom is generally more expensive than renovating.
- The remodelling process usually takes longer than renovating.
- A bathroom remodel can be really quite disruptive to your daily life.
Should you remodel or renovate your bathroom?
Ultimately it is personal choice, and both options add value to your home in a variety of ways. We recommend speaking to an industry expert for further assistance, as getting the professionals in to help out is always a good idea!
Give Mastercraft a call on 0435 243 235 if you have any questions or would like to start your next bathroom project today.
- 10 signs you might need a bathroom renovation
- 3 Common Mistakes with Bathroom Renovations
- 3 crucial questions to ask when planning a renovation
- 9 Reasons Why You Should Renovate Your Bathroom
- Bathroom design options you might not have considered
- Bathroom Renovation Steps
Bathroom renovationsBathroom Renovations Shower Repairs Toilet Renovations Ensuite Renovations Complete Renovations Budget Renovations Renovations Under $10,000 Small Bathroom Renovations Accessible Bathroom Reno Laundry Renovations Renovation Process Renovation Packages Bathroom Product Guide Bathroom Renovation Help Service Areas