3 Common Mistakes with Bathroom Renovations
Planning a bathroom renovation?
Find out how to avoid some of the most common mistakes by preparing a strategic renovation plan and budgeting carefully. A well-planned renovation can transform the look of your bathroom and improve your day-to-day life. Here we have prepared a list of things to avoid and what to focus on; let's dive in!
1. DIY rather than hiring a professional bathroom renovator
Do you feel brave enough to venture into the DIY territory? For a few changes, DIY is convenient and cost effective if you have the skills. But if you are planning a full renovation process including plumbing, waterproofing, tiling and electrical fittings is immensely important to enlist the skills and experience of a professional bathroom renovation company. Unless you are qualified or experienced in these fields, it can be dangerous and also impossible to do everything yourself.
Waterproofing, ventilation, and drainage are key aspects of a well functioning bathroom and need to be completed to a set of standards to comply with plumbing regulations. Problems like leaking plumbing or mould growth due to damp issues can cause a major mess and can be expensive to fix down the track. Do it right the first time by hiring a expert bathroom renovator and avoid these common issues.
To ensure the licensed contractors or bathroom reno team are reputable and provide a great result make sure you do your research, read reviews and ask for referrals.
2. Failing to plan an accurate renovation budget
A well-planned budget and strategy can help you avoid mistakes, overspending and helps to pin point features that are important to the reno. It's very easy to find amazing bathroom designs and bespoke accessories for your reno which makes it so simple to go overboard and spend too much, or spend big on features that are not really that crucial to the result.
Not spending enough on core aspects of the reno can also create big problems with the project. Scrimping on waterproofing so you can buy that custom light fitting could cost you a lot more in a few years when it all needs to be replaced.
Prepare a bathroom renovation budget for everything your project might need, these can include:
- Tiles & tiling
- Tapware and showerheads
- Shower - screen, fittings, seat, base
- Bathtub - fittings
- Contractors fees
- Screws and hooks
- Towel bars and safety rail
- Toilet paper holder
Make sure you allocate a further 10-15% of your budget for unexpected expenses that ALWAYS crop up during renovation projects. The planning period is a good time to identify if there are items or aspects which are stretching your budget too far, providing an opportunity to find an alternative or skip them altogether without creating delays in the project. The most important thing for a successful reno project is to stick to your budget. A professional bathroom reno team can help you prepare a realistic budget and layout for your project.
3. Decide if you need a full renovation or a partial makeover
A partial renovation may cost less to do, but there are certain requirements as follows:
- Not suitable for bathrooms before 1990 due to asbestos.
- Not suitable for bathrooms that are more than 10 years old due to expired warranty.
- Not suitable for bathrooms that have water damaged flooring and framing.
- Not suitable for layout changes.
So it is important to:
- Choose a style that works well with the rest of your house
- Place emphasis on the functionality of the bathroom rather than trends
- Choose a look and feel that is evergreen and would stay relevant in the future
- Keep things minimal - less is more! Find a few things that can make your bathroom look wow and let other elements complement
- Seriously consider layout change decisions. Changing the layout can significantly add to the cost of your bathroom renovation - it might be prudent to leave the plumbing fixtures where they are to save money.
- Include space for shower gels, shampoos and toiletries in the wall instead of plastic caddies
Your local bathroom renovation experts Brisbane
Hope this guide helps you avoid mistakes in your bathroom renovation. Plan a budget-friendly bathroom renovation by contacting us on 0435 243 235 or complete the online bathroom renovation enquiry form.
- 10 signs you might need a bathroom renovation
- 3 crucial questions to ask when planning a renovation
- 9 Reasons Why You Should Renovate Your Bathroom
- Bathroom design options you might not have considered
- Bathroom Renovation Steps
- Bathroom Renovation vs Bathroom Remodel
Bathroom renovationsBathroom Renovations Shower Repairs Toilet Renovations Ensuite Renovations Complete Renovations Budget Renovations Renovations Under $10,000 Small Bathroom Renovations Accessible Bathroom Reno Laundry Renovations Renovation Process Renovation Packages Bathroom Product Guide Bathroom Renovation Help Service Areas